Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stalling for Alafia

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on the animals. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The animals grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

Alafia is the final Los Angeles Zoo gorilla that will be introduced to my readers. But, she has not yet made her public debut. Alafia came to the LA Zoo from the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, Washington a few months ago, but she has been in the back being introduced to the family group one by one. The last to be introduced to Alafia were Rapunzel and Glenda, who just disappeared from the public on the 24th so that they could meet the new girl. Since the final introductions are in the process of being made, I figured I'd stall a bit before I went on to another exhibit to introduce its animals to my readers.

So, today I will share some of my favorite zoo moments. To see more of them, you can go to My Favorite Zoo Pics page. Below are some of these pics.

Lionel, the king of the LA Zoo:
King

Cookie, Lionel's queen:
The Face of a Lioness

A Lionel and Cookie tender moment:
Nuzzles of Love

A Portrait of a 2 year old Tiger:
Sumatran Tiger Cub Portrait

A Tiger in Los Angeles Snow:
Portrait of a Tiger Checking Out the Snow

A Bear's Nap Time:
Nap Time

A LA Zoo Jag:
Jaguar

A Grevy Zebra:
Los Angeles Zoo Grevy Zebra

A Young Female Giraffe:
Giraffe

Otis Yawns:
Open Wide!

Chimps:
At the Playground

Chimp Chowtime:
"Ooo ... Oooo ... Ooo! Pick Me, Mr. Kotter!"

The gentle giant:
The Gentle Giant

Little Berani:
Little Miss Acrobat

A Mustached Guenon looks into the light:
Looking into the Light

Ring-tailed Lemur:
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Coquerel's Sifaka:
Surprize!

Bongo:
Bongo at the Zoo

Gerenuk:
"Hello, Earthling!"

Desert Bighorn Sheep Ram:
King of the Hill in LA

Aldabra Tortoise:
Say, "Cheese!"

Flamingo:
Flamingo in Los Angeles Zoo

Ostrich:
Hello, Ostrich!

2 comments:

  1. According to the zoo, Alafia won't make her day view till Summer. So you're going to have to stall for a while.

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooopppss ... well, then onto another exhibit.

    ReplyDelete