Friday, April 10, 2009

Bruno, the Gentle Giant

Bruno, the Gentle Giant

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

This is Bruno, the gentle giant. I can't help but love this guy. He has sweet eyes, and loves to observe the visitors, gorillas, and peacocks. And, he'll often give small visitors or visitors sitting in the window area a chance to look him right in the eye as he comes by the window looking into eyes at his level. Bruno treats the disabled Eloise with such sweetness ... often helping her up steep slopes, helping her roll along, or giving her a push on a fire hose in order to swing somewhere. As well, he grooms her often. Even though males have nothing to do with their offspring in the wild, and Bruno is not even related to little Berani, he is very patient with her and often plays with her.

Bruno is or is the almost the biggest of the bunch. He is both Sumatran and Bornean, so he is contracepted. He is gorgeous to look at, though ... very large. Bruno once got out of his outer enclosure when he put a hole in the netting. He only got to the back area in order to visit the gorillas he is so curious about, though, and not in the guest area. For, he had watched the construction of the gorilla exhibit with much curiosity. Then, when the gorillas came back, and there were so many keepers in and out, he became much more intrigued.

Bruno loves his keepers. In the middle of the day, he can often be heard as he bangs on the door and loudly vocalizes. He isn't upset. Since orangutans live solitary lives, in order to call a female or get attention, they must vocalize and make noise. So, if he hears a keeper or it is time for a lunch, he'll go down to the door and make himself known. To some he may sound angry, but he isn't ... it's actually usually just a sweet call to his keepers. Of course, if it is raining or there are riveling females, he may go down to say "Hey! Let me in!"

Bruno posing for a picture:
Beautiful Bruno

A happy Bruno:
"Who, me?! I'm Being a Good Boy!"

Bruno peering into visitors' eyes at the window:
Bruno Peers In

Bruno, a sweet boy:
The Gentle Giant

Bruno watching his visitors:
Bruno's Back!

Bruno quietly observing the vistors:
Bruno Watches Quietly

Bruno watching events unfold:
Bruno Watches the Events

Bruno picking his teeth (he loves to do that):
Bruno Picks His Teeth

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! It's Kat from the Zoo. Bruno's Thursday's Babysitter! :) I love your pictures and it's always great seeing you and chatting with you and your son...especially about Bruno! Would you mind if I used a picture of Bruno? I would like to send it to a few of my friends who are always asking "Who is this Bruno guy your always talking about?:! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, I already spoke with you about this, but I wanted to thank you for the comment. We enjoy talking to you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete