Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Last Orangutan, but Not Least ... Rosie

Rosie Quietly Watching Her Visitors

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

I've stalled a bit in putting up Rosie's blog page because I just don't have the pictures to do her justice, yet. It's not that she isn't beautiful ... she is. But, I've often not had the opportunity to take her pictures, and my hard drive with my zoo pics is currently struggling. So, my new Rosie pics are taking some time. Yet, I didn't want to wait any longer. For, Rosie is a sweetheart of an Orangutan that I wish everyone could meet.

Rosie is the daughter of Eloise, and the year older half-sister of Kalim. She is also very intelligent and active. Minyak is very fond of her these days. She was born in March 1981, and was hand-raised, as well as her younger sister Kalim. Though she is very clever like her sister, she seemed to get the sweeter temperment (not that I don't like Kalim ... because she's incredible, too, in her own way). Like her sister, Rosie warms up to certain people, and will often be seen coming over to the netting to quietly watch a particular person she is fond of. When she does so, she will bat her long, long eyelashes, and will often look as sweet or even as pitiful as she can in order to get the most attention. She doesn't stay long, though. Then, she'll go find Minyak or some branch or vines just out of reach that she can use a stick with which to fetch. Rosie is very patient and smart when it comes to her projects. And, when she is working on a project, she is fascinating to watch ... because she really thinks them through. If something she is doing isn't working, she'll scratch her head (literally) and come up with something else.

On days it looks like it may rain, you'll usually find Rosie under a tarp or blanket. As many primates, orangutans especially like to cover up with something. In the wild, they'll use large leaves like a tarp covering.

If I haven't mentioned it before, orangutans are often referred to as "daydreamers." When I'm at the zoo, so many visitors walk by an animal, especially the orangutans and say things like "they look bored." But, if they studied the animals in the wild, and watched the zoo animals long enough, the visitors would realize the zoo animals are usually very content and relaxed, rather than bored. In the wild, orangutans sit for hours while they daydream, study, and observe ... doing nothing, except internally gathering info and putting it together. Then, when they do something, it is done with great intelligence and creativity. People see films of animals, like orangutans, doing interesting things, and think that any of the laying around or thinking the animals are normally doing is abnormal. It's not ... it's very normal. Nonetheless, Rosie, Kalim, and Berani stay pretty busy for orangutans ... they sit and think some, but are very often found by visitors working on their own creative projects.

Rosie is a great, fun aunt for young Berani, and a caring daughter to Eloise. She is also quite a flirt with the boys ... especially Minyak these days. She will often teasingly pull his hair and run from him, and then come back to sweetly groom him.

Rosie above the visitors:
Rosie

Rosie giving her best pouty face to one of her keepers in order to gain attention:
Rosie Giving Her Best Pouty Face

Rosie carrying her tarp along:
Rosie with Her Tarp

Rosie preparing for a storm:
Rosie Prepares for the Storm

Rosie cuddling with Minyak:
Lovebirds

Rosie eating a snack she gathered herself:
Rosie Peers Out at Me

Rosie watching her man (Minyak) above her:
Rosie Watches Her Man

Rosie:
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment