Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Minyak's Story of Survival

Minyak Watches

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

Minyak has been quite the fighter ... coming back from near death a few times. He was born March 19, 1981 at a research facility where he stayed for 20 years before arriving at the Los Angeles Zoo in 2001. According to his bio at the Los Angeles Zoo,
When he arrived here, he was very sick with a chronic lung infection. Thanks to the efforts of the vetrinary and animal care staff, he made a remarkable recovery, though he still requires daily medical care. His subsequent success in fathering Berani is a major milestone in the zoo's efforts to preserve the Bornean Orangutan gene pool.
The efforts to keep him alive included the eventual removal of his air sack, an air purification system in his back quarters, and daily nebulizer treatments. He has not only overcome the illness and depression he had when he arrived, but is thriving and happy.

Nowadays, since females only breed about every 9 years, Minyak has been cuddling with Rosie, Kalim's half-sister. (Kalim is Berani's mother). And, when they're not cuddling, he is usually keeping himself where he can see Rosie and pine over her.

Below are some of my pics of Minyak:

Minyak watches me:
Minyak Watches

Minyak watches his gal Rosie:
Minyak Watching Rosie

Minyak poses for a picture:
Minyak Poses for a Picture

Minyak's contentment is evident as he peers at me through the netting:
Minyak Peering at Me Thru the Netting

Unable to see his girlfriend, Minyak climbs higher:
The Need to Go Higher

The lovebirds - Minyak and Rosie:
Lovebirds

A happy Minyak:
A Happy Minyak

ARTICLES & MISC I FOUND ABOUT MINYAK ON THE WEB:

IQAir Article on Minyak:
www.iqair.com/aboutus/specialprojects/minyak/

LA Zoo Conservation Article About Minyak:
www.lazoo.org/conservation/orangutan102306.html

A Timeline on Minyak Before and After Surgery:
www.lpag.org/home/minyak.html

A Zooscape Article on Minyak
www.multiscope.com/hotspot/iqair_zoo.htm

Minyak's Story:
www.czs.org/uploads/CZS/OrangutanConf/Wednesday/Minyaks-S...

Minyak, a Rare Primate, Embraces Fatherhood:
www.breathingbetterlivingwell.com/community/index.php?sho...

Seattle Times Article on Minyak, Kalim, & Berani:
seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002226894_ora...

Life and Times Article on Minyak, Kalim, and Berani:
www.kcet.org/lifeandtimes/archives/200505/20050509.php

The LA Zoo's Orangutans:
www.lazoo.org/animals/mammals/borneanorangutan/

No comments:

Post a Comment