Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Gracie

Timid (Not really)

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

Gracie
, once called the “Wild One,” was born January 26, 1987, at Los Angeles Zoo to Pandora and Judeo. She was mother to Jean by Shaun, and is sister to Jerrard, Ripley and Regina. She was also once known as an "escape" artist because she got out of her exhibit up to 8 times according to some articles, though she never was really trying to "escape." She only really did it for a puzzle to solve and a little adventure, but always returned happily to her own territory. One of these escapades on Jan 19, 2004 caused the evacuation of 9000 visitors, it was her 5th caper since arriving at zoo. She was very precocious and always getting into mischief. One time, she even threw an exit sign at veterinary.

As she grew older, and was "put in her place" by the dominant males, Gracie became much more content to watch, and interact with her other tribe members. Now, she can usually be seen observing, grooming other members, or socializing with her mom or sister.

Though she is a very pretty chimpanzee, I only have a couple of pictures of her because she is normally amid other group members. She has short hair on her head, and beautiful brown eyes. Her sweet look tells nothing of her former mischievous days.

Gracie with Shaun:
Gracie and Shaun

Gracie with Shaun through the morning fog:
Through the Fog and the Glass

2 comments:

  1. Terrific blog. Thanks for sharing and all you do to promote these creatures and all they add to our life experience. Great stuff, and marvelous photos.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much ... that's encouraging. They are very cool creatures, indeed.

    ReplyDelete