Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Regina

After Lunch

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

Regina was born October 23, 1983, to Pandora at the Los Angeles Zoo. She is the oldest sister to brothers Jerrard and Ripley, and sister Gracie. Regina is mother to Yoshiko by Judeo, and to Jake by Shaun. According the zoo’s bio, she was a very young mother, and had an unstructured style of mothering, and so her offspring were very independent. Regina is bald on top, and can be quite the goof-ball.

Regina is not the brightest of the bunch, but can be very sweet. When her brothers compete with Shaun and Glenn for dominance, Regina can usually be found hiding from them on a rock ledge ... screaming as loud as she can. And, she often walks around with her top lip flipped up ... really looking goofy. Sometimes chimps do this if they are excited or stressed. She becomes both quite easily.

She seems to be quite family oriented as she spends a lot of time with her adult daughter Yoshi, her mother Pandora, and her brother Jerrard. (Ripley is usually too worried about how he can become alpha.)

Regina looking at me as if asking, "Can you get me more fruit?!"
Can You Get Me Some Fruit?!

Regina's turn for more fruit (she's in background)
Regina's Turn!

Regina likes her fruit (background with orange):
How 'Bout Me?!

Apparently, Regina likes cucumbers, too:
A Couple Handfuls

Regina plays "see"-food:
Regina Plays "'See'Food"

Regina, the goofball, walking around with her upper lip flipped up:
The Goofball

Regina on a tree branch:
It Isn't "Monkey" - Business ...

Regina with daughter Yoshi:
Regina and daughter Yoshi

Regina with brother Jerrard:
Jerrard and Regina

Regina taking a walk:
About Their Daily Business

Regina watching the crowd:
Watching the Crowd

Regina relaxing:
Relaxing

No comments:

Post a Comment