Thursday, July 2, 2009

Nan

Nan

As with all my blogging, please note that what I have written below comes from my observations and public articles I've read or viewed, and not from the LA Zoo itself. My blogs are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Zoo. I am not an expert, only a quiet observer, and reader on great apes. LA Zoo is near my residence and has been a convenient and wonderful place for me to observe these wonderful creatures. I began observing them when I started walking at the LA Zoo for my health. (The zoo's beauty and life kept me motivated to keep walking.) The great apes grabbed my attention, and so I began researching outside articles and videos as I continued to observe these incredible animals. Thus, my blogs.

This is Nan, another Matriarch, and mother of big boys Shaun and Glenn. Nan was born at the Los Angeles Zoo on December 12, 1979. She was very close to her mother, Bonnie, and like her sister, was a very good mother to Shaun (once Alpha Male) and Glenn (current Alpha Male???). She was gentle and loving, but very timid and anxious, especially when there were changes. She often looks quite shy. Yet, when it comes to her sons and their positions, she is not afraid to let her mind be known ... loud and clear. Like Pandora, Nan is not afraid to get involved in the hierarchy struggle.

Lately, though, the dominance position seems to be up in the air. Is it still her son Glenn, or has Pandora's younger son Ripley finally succeeded? After Shaun and Glenn's recent injuries, including the removal of Glenn's finger, they just often don't seem to want to get hurt in the struggles anymore. So, Ripley, and his older brother Jerrard have been displaying more, but there also have been a lot more peaceful moments between these brothers and their "rivals" Glenn and Shaun.

Anyway, back to Nan. I have had a hard time gathering pictures of Nan and her sister JoAnna because the two have very dark faces. As well, Nan likes to stay in the shadows as much as possible ... probably because her dark color only adds to the heat she feels.

Nan with son Glenn:
Mother and Son

Nan with the other Matriarch, Pandora, and Pandora's son Ripley:
The Two Matriarchs and a Son

Nan observing some visitors:
Mother Nan

Nan? looking through the shadowed glass:
Nan Through the Smeared Glass

1 comment: